A little about David:

Born in Chelsea Naval Hospital on July 28, 1943, David Hardy Warren was just a year old when I had 30 days survivors leave from the torpedoed Block Island. I remember his extremely blond hair and large head and solemn countenance. I used to think he looked like the composer Sibelius. Like Ursula, he grew up on the farm with all sorts of animals and chores to do. With Ursula, he went to Westtown School and was placed in a small dormitory whose supervisor was one of the younger teachers. He was elected president of his dormitory, and soon got into a run-in with the supervisor. At the end of the school year we had a letter from the headmaster saying that David needed to change his negative attitude if he was to be readmitted in the fall. Peg and I immediately took the trip to Westtown and talked with the staff there. To make a long story short, it developed that David's negative attitude consisted of his saying "It won't work" every time the dorm supervisor came up with a hair-brained idea for governing the dorm. Incidentally, David was already playing goalie on the school soccer team, and was doing well with his studies. He remained and on graduation was valedictorian. The young faculty person was soon let go.

With his good grades, athletic performance, and other credentials from a well-known school, David was able to get a scholarship and work program at Yale, where he majored in psychology. He participated in various athletics and played goalie for the freshman soccer team and the following three years for the varsity team.

He did well at Yale, and on graduation received a scholarship to study psychology in the University of Minnesota graduate school. There, he met Lynda Walker, a graduate student who was majoring in counseling psychology. David, on the other hand, focused on visual-auditory relationships in spatial cognition. They were soon engaged and married.

They both received their Ph. Ds and went off to California with appointments as assistant professor, David at the University of California/Riverside, and Lynda at Cal State Bernadino. In due course they had a son, Michael. Somehow, their marital relationship deteriorated and they got a divorce. Although that was about fifteen years ago, we are still friendly with Lynda, who even came to New Hampshire to see us a few months ago on the occasion of being in the East to visit her father in South Carolina.

After some time, David and his present wife Katherine became friends and eventually were engaged and married. After many years, they continue to be happily married. She was and is the director of the Sweeney Art Gallery at UC/Riverside. Together they enjoy an active social and cultural life in the Riverside, California community where they reside. They also relax at the Warren Forbes Park house in Colorado, where they hike, golf, bike, and enjoy all the Colorado mountains have to offer.

David's son Michael attended Brown University, in Providence, Rhode Island, and works as an investment banker in New York City. He met his future bride, Roberta Forbes, in college. After several years together, they were married in October of 2000.

David had rather quickly gained tenure, and he was appointed Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences while still an Associate Professor. He advanced to Full Professor after two more years. Meantime, he worked hard on his research on child blindness, from which two prestigious books have resulted. He has lectured at various universities in this country and abroad. He was eventually appointed Executive Vice Chancellor of the university, in which at this present writing he has been active for eight years.

Just recently, when the Chancellor resigned, David was widely believed to be the leading candidate to become Chancellor. Much to everyone's surprise, including his supporters, he withdrew his candidacy and returned to his position as Executive Vice Chancellor. He and Katherine made the decision together. He had already been serving as Acting Chancellor for some time, and they both found the new position challenging and enjoyable. The eight years as EVC were good and he was well received in his work. But it demanded an immense amount of time and energy, and the Chancellor position would be somewhat different, but equally demanding. I think he decided, with Katherine's full agreement, that they should both have more time to enjoy the rest of their years. He is now fifty-nine.

Continue with Growing Health Problems
Return to My Peg